SO excited for these new beauties!! My best friend was in town over the weekend, and our favorite thing to do together is get some delish lattes and hunt for treasures in the used bookstores around us. We could only make it to one store (my favorite called Mojo Books and Records!), but I found some great stuff! Only $15 for all of this, after using some of my store credit! They are really good here about giving you a fair price on books you bring in to trade, too.
This little haul is actually so amazing for me, because a couple of these books are ones I have casually been wanting, but didn’t want to actually buy yet. I was SO ecstatic when I found them here, used but in perfect condition!
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker: This one has been on my radar for months and I can’t believe I found this pristine hardcover edition here for $9.99!! I found this one within 5 minutes of walking in the store and I snatched it up right away. This is a retelling of the Trjoan war, focusing on the female perspectives involved. It sounds great and I can’t wait to read it.
- A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James: I am probably most excited about this one. I can’t believe I just happened to find it in a thrift store! As you all know, I randomly read this author’s other book Black Leopard Red Wolf recently and ended up loving it, so I knew I wanted to read more from him, but I didn’t expect to find it like this! I actually have no idea what this one is about, other than murders happen and it’s supposed to be amazingly written, and honestly that’s how I prefer to go into this author’s books. Really looking forward to this one!
- Circe by Madeline Miller: I have, of course, heard about this Greek myth retelling before and knew that everyone loves it, but I never really wanted to buy it full price. I am really glad I could pick up this nice hardcover edition here for only a couple bucks! It is a really pretty book and I plan on reading it, and learning about Circe’s tragic story very soon.
- Follow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick: I really know nothing about this book, but I have been wanting to get into more sci-fi and Philip K. Dick recently, so I had to get this one! It was only $2.99, I mean come on. It was a no-brainer! I don’t want to know too much about the story before reading it, so I can be deliciously shocked and disturbed!
- The Whalestoe Letters by Mark Z. Danielewski: This book was so pretty sitting on the shelf and I noticed that it was the same author as House of Leaves (which I recently bought from the same store, but have not tackled yet). I was intrigued right away, and then I noticed that it is a companion novel to House of Leaves! It is an expansion on some of the letters written there between a mother and her child, and they create such a story on their own, that it has been bound up into this little novella. I, of course, had to have it!
Very, very pleased with my haul here and I cannot wait to dive into them! I just need to finish a couple library books first 😊. What have you guys been reading lately? Do you love used bookstores as much as I do??